21 July 2008

Bread of Heaven

How perfectly formed the ritual of the celebrant's communion is in the Classical Roman Liturgy. It centres around the word Lord - which, of course, whether in the English or the Greek (Kurios) or the Latin (Dominus) stands for YHWH, the ancient unspeakable Covenant Name of the God of Israel. I genuflect in adoration saying that I will receive the Bread of Heaven and call upon the Name of YHWH; the wonder of which breaks me down into a threefold cry of unworthiness: YHWH, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof but only say the word and my anima, my breath, my life, my being, will be healed. Because at Mass YHWH comes under the Roof of the Temple building in which we stand; the One who entered the Temple at Jerusalem in his Name or his Glory is among us as a Man, as flesh and blood, as an epiphenomenon of the world he has himself created. More than that, the flesh and blood which is YHWH will become one with my flesh and blood so that I become the Roof of God. What can I give YHWH as a thank-offering for such a marvel? I, who am nothing, am yet everything only because of him and the thank-offering which I can give him is unceasingly his own gift to me: I will take the Cup of Salvation and again invoke YHWH, secure in the knowledge that I shall be saved from my enemies.

2 comments:

Bishop of Ebbsfleet said...

This allows me to make my favourite complaint: preachers, lecturers and even lesson readers who use their own copy of the Jerusalem Bible frequently speak out the name of the Lord. The lectionaries have been amended so all references are to the LORD - and, of course, the conventions of the various English Bibles have been similar. We do need to respect the absence of vowels and substitution of Adonai and it is a point that, I believe, the Holy Father himself has made. Concerted efforts are needed to ensure this abuse - which pious Jews would consider a blasphemy - dies out.

+ Andrew Ebbsfleet

Scelata said...

"preachers, lecturers and even lesson readers who use their own copy of the Jerusalem Bible frequently speak out the name of the Lord."

Don't forget cantors and congregations, when we are asked to use any of numerous sacchro-sacro-pop songs that use the His name -..... I Know You Are Near, Sing A New Song Unto the Lord, etc.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)